Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Healthy Chicken Enchiladas

Prefacing the recipe, I have to come out & admit I am a full-fledged fan of the Real Housewives series on Bravo. Specifically the Real Housewives of Orange County & the Real Housewives of New York.

I know its awful.

These people live in such a different land than I do, I am just intrigued, and sometimes saddened by their mindset and how they act.

I do have a decent opinion of Bethenny, on RHNY. She is the most normal in my book. Anyway, she's in very good shape & has put out several books & DVDs (yoga, etc) now on a healthy lifestyle. She has come up with some pretty good recipes on healthy cooking and I just recently subscribed to her newsletter (get it HERE). Her May newsletter featured this recipe for chicken enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo. We ate out for Cinco de Mayo, but I made these this week. And we really liked them!

For the chicken, she shredded a roasted chicken from the store. But I went ahead & boiled 3 breasts & shredded those, it worked just as well.

An Unbelievably Delicious Low Fat Enchilada
Makes 5 Enchiladas
Bake Time – 20 minutes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Part 1 – Chicken Mixture
3 cups shredded chicken (white meat). *I shred by hand using store-bought roast chicken or boiled chicken breasts, skinless). Costco has great chicken roast for 4.99
4 oz canned green chilies
1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt

Combine all of the above in a large non-stick pan over medium high-heat. When heated through (approximately 5 minutes), remove mixture from pan and set aside.

Part 2 – The Sauce
15 oz can tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Combine all of the above over medium heat in until warm. Use the same pan that you used for the chicken mixture. You should heat for approximately 10 minutes.

Part 3 – Assembly
1-cup extra sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
5 medium whole-wheat tortillas (5-6” tortillas)
Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 8x11 lasagna/casserole dish
Divide chicken mixture in tortillas evenly, fold over left and right side and place seam down snuggly in the dish.
Top with remaining sauce evenly spread amongst the enchiladas.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese
Bake at 350 degrees on center rack for 20 minutes

Serve with brown rice

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I'm thinking I'm adding those to the meal plan next week! And they look easy! I'll probably have to double the recipe. Garrett will probably eat 4 by himself!

    ReplyDelete